Sunday, May 17, 2009

When They Come For My Guns

When They Come for My Guns
By Larry Simoneaux


I guess I’m just tired of it all.

Tired of the bogus definitions (see: “assault weapons” or “assault rifles”) and the slanted or just plain false statistics constantly being quoted.

Tired of the skewed reporting and glaring omissions in “news” stories.

Bet you didn’t know that, in the Appalachian Law School shooting of several years ago, the incident ended when two students got their guns and subdued the killer without firing a shot.

If you missed it, it’s not your fault. You see, in more than 200 reports, that little factoid was “conveniently” left out.

I’m tired of gun owners being portrayed as ignorant, gap-toothed simpletons whose only source of amusement is shooting anything that moves.

I’d be willing to stand a cross-section of gun owners up against any of the anti-gun crowd and bet hard money on where the IQ pool would be deepest. You see, I’ve sat around too many campfires listening to doctors, judges, airline pilots, ship captains, teachers, and just plain hard working people talk. Most of those times, I decided to keep my mouth shut in order not to lower the level of discussion.

I’m tired of being told that the Constitution guarantees such things as abortions (although such is nowhere mentioned) but does not recognize an individual’s right to “keep and bear” arms - even though those words can be read by any and all who care to do so.

I’m tired of hearing that we need just one more “reasonable gun law” when there are already thousands on the books that seem to be studiously ignored.

I’m tired of finding that most - if not all - of such proposed laws are nothing more than dishonest attempts aimed at the eventual confiscation of all firearms.

I’m tired of bringing reasoned and well-researched arguments to discussions of this topic only to be ignored or treated with polite contempt.

I’m tired of being told that I should take moral guidance on this issue from the likes of - let’s say - Ted Kennedy and others of his ilk. Sorry, I’ll have to check with Mary Jo Kopechne and get back to you on that one.

I’m tired of seeing concrete and obvious examples ignored.

Washington, D.C. and New York City have some of the toughest gun laws on the books. Their crime rates have been repeatedly shown to be (guess which) higher/lower than cities wherein gun ownership is less restricted.

I’m tired of being told that guns are the problem when, on any given day, I can turn on the news and hear about the latest atrocity we – as a society – have suffered. Therein, I inevitably find that: (1) it’s been perpetrated by some useless accretion of carbon with a “rap” sheet thicker than a telephone directory; and (2) said individual was still on the street because of a justice system that’s become more “system” than justice.

I’m a father, a former little league coach, an honorably discharged veteran, and a past president of the local PTA. I’ve been married to the same woman for 33 years. I’ve never been arrested and my last run-in with the law was a speeding ticket back in the mid-70’s.

I vote in every election. I give blood regularly. I have a degree in English Literature and another in Marine Biology. I spent a year in a Benedictine monastery studying to be a priest. However - because I choose to own firearms - to the major networks, liberal politicians everywhere, and the likes of Sarah Brady, I’m nothing more than a “gun nut.”

I hear there’s going to be another “Million(?)Mom March” in Washington, D.C. in May.

I’ve already prepared myself for the fawning coverage it will receive.

I’ve already accepted that there’s not going to be a balanced presentation of the other side of the argument.

I’m tired of that too.

And so, I’ve finally reached the point where I’ve decided I will no longer be “reasonable” while the other side has never, does not now, nor will ever accord me the same courtesy.

Even though this piece will never see the light of day in any major publication, I have a message for the anti-gun zealots out there. It’s from someone who’s perfectly normal and is basically your next door neighbor.

There used to be a bumper sticker that said: “You’ll get my gun when you pry my cold, dead fingers from the trigger.”

You made fun of it and derided those who believed in the spirit of the idea it propounded.

Unfortunately, it’s not much seen any more and I’ve been unable to find one for my own use.

For that reason, I’ve designed one of my own.

It says: “When you come for my guns, bring yours. You’ll be needing them.”

I think it speaks for itself.


Larry Simoneaux.

No comments:

Post a Comment